Welcome to Gaslight Village! Here, you will find an exciting mix of 55 delicious eateries, stylish shops and professional services. Named for the flickering gas lamps that line our streets, you can find anything from everyday staples to one-of-a-kind finds in this historic destination.
Situated on the banks of beautiful Reeds Lake, Gaslight Village is the central hub of East Grand Rapids and is always filled with vibrant activity. Not only do shoppers and diners wander about, but walkers, bikers and runners are also often found zipping through the district.
Gaslight Village’s proximity to Downtown Grand Rapids makes it a popular shopping district for West Michigan.
Accessing Gaslight Village
Located just a few miles away from Downtown Grand Rapids, Gaslight Village can be accessed from Lake Drive or Wealthy Street. If possible, accessing Gaslight Village by foot is always encouraged. The Village is also located on The Rapid’s Route 6 for bus commuters.
For detailed directions, visit our DIRECTORY.
Gaslight Village Business Association
The Gaslight Village Business Association (GVBA) formed in 1974 by a group of local business leaders. The organization is concerned with all aspects of Gaslight Village, from growth to promotion and retention of current businesses. GVBA hosts several community events throughout the year, including the Taste of East Grand Rapids, Frightful Friday and the Holiday Tree Lighting ceremony, to attract patrons to the district.
For more information on joining GVBA, click HERE.
By the 1870s, the Reeds Lake area was a popular summertime day trip destination for the people of Grand Rapids and surrounding areas who made the long journey to spend the day picnicking, boating, swimming, or spending a leisurely day at the lake.
Ramona Park is the most remembered feature of early East Grand Rapids. The amusement park, owned and operated by the Grand Rapids Street Railway Company, was a destination spot for thousands of families between 1897 and 1955. Even our former president, and East Grand Rapids resident, Gerald R. Ford once worked at one of the concession stands.
By the early 1950s, weekend trips and vacations and attendance at Ramona Park dwindled. After the park fell into disrepair and closed in 1955, the community voted to replace the park with residential apartments and a new commercial shopping center. The land was eventually developed into portions of the current Gaslight Village, including Ramona Shopping Center (D&W and other small businesses), the Jade Pig retail development, apartments and condominiums, and John Collins Park on the lakeshore.
For more information on the history of East Grand Rapids, visit the EGR History Room.